Thursday, July 10, 2014

Sketching - The Start

Sketches have always attracted me. Have never got into trying it for myself though. So one fine day, I thought of giving it a shot. After all, there is a nice charm in drawing friends or family and gifting them a portrait of themselves on a special occasion.

Since I never had drawn anything, I was wondering if I'd be even remotely good at it. To keep the motivation up and to keep a log on my progress, I found it would be good if I shared my sketches - good and bad onto my blog. Maybe one day I'd stop and this will make me keep on going, or maybe I'll become really good at it and laugh at my earlier sketches :D

Here it goes ... Dated, things I have drawn till now ...

Starting Day : 17th June 2014

Started with something simple, something which I could draw :D


18th June 2014

Found an online lesson on basic principles of sketching. It featured a hand holding a pencil. Wasn't supposed to be drawn, but i tried anyway with pretty bad results :D


19th June 2014

The next lesson was about shading. Drew this and some random thinker.



20th June 2014

This lesson required us to just draw what we saw without allowing our brain to attach a logical structure to it. So, I had to draw the sketch upside down and wasn't supposed to look at it the right side up before finishing it. Was happy with the results !



26th June 2014

Net wasn't working in the morn. So just saw pics of some birds offline and tried to draw them.



In the eve, Internet was back online. Drew a random hand from an article about FIFA worldcup. The lesson was about perspective and how a finger pointing at you would be drawn. Was a new experience for me since I really didn't understand if I was drawing it correctly until I finished it. Also was my first attempt where shading played a vital role in making the sketch look real.




27th June 2014

The next lesson was about proportions and had a sketch of a girl. Thought of challenging myself to draw it. Came out pretty good but ended up looking like an old woman, guess due to the shading !

Took 2 hours for this drawing. I guess it doesn't take that long surely !!



28th June 2014

But the previous drawing did made me realize that I probably can sketch. So tried to draw a celebrity. Spent another 2 hours drawing this ! Came out pretty nice (at least by my standards) :D


3th July 2014

Lesson reached the part about portrait drawing. Started with drawing a profile. Tried it out ...


There go the sketches I had made until a few days back. Will keep this updated ! Ciao !!

No comments: